BAR-LE-DUC, capital of the Meuse department, northeastern France; former capital of the Duchy of Bar. The 12th-century Jewish community in Bar-le-Duc was reputedly expelled by the count of Bar, but Jews are again found there from 1220. They were expelled in 1309 but were allowed to return to the county in 1321, and settled in 30 localities. In 1322 the Jews were again expelled, but had returned by 1328 to be banished again in 1477. They resided in Bar-le-Duc in the Rue des Juifs, the present Rue de la Couronne. After the French Revolution Jews again settled in Bar-le-Duc. From 1808 the community was affiliated to the Consistory of Nancy and administered by the rabbinate of Verdun. It numbered 170 in 1892. During World War II 18 Jews living in Bar-le-Duc were deported or shot. In 1968, 40 Jews lived there.
Weill, in: REJ, 125 (1966), 287ff.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.